Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Blasting Off With Reader's Workshop!

Hi parents!

I wanted to give you a sneak peak at something new I am trying this year, Reader's Workshop! In the past, I have often wrestled with the best way to teach reading because many of the kiddos are not able to read when school starts.

Then I found Blasting Off With Reader's Workshop and my world was changed forever! I know it sounds a bit dramatic, but its true. The first thing I did was to split phonics and word study from reading. We now have two, shorter, literacy blocks during the day, one for phonics and one for reading. The shorter blocks of time REALLY help the kids to maintain their attention :)

A typical day of Reader's Workshop runs as follows...we start with me teaching a mini lesson that will cover an essential reading skill for about 10 minutes. We are starting small, like studying the parts of a book and we will continue to grow from here! During the lesson I might be modeling a skill, the kids might be talking with their elbow partners, or we might work on an anchor chart as a whole class.

After the lesson the kiddos get to go practice the skill they talked about. They LOVE this part :). We worked very hard choosing books that were just right for them and have begun keeping our own libraries in ziplock baggies to use each day for reading. Our baggies get stored in our group's reading tub.

I am really looking forward to using this unit for the rest of the year and seeing the kids grow as readers. Check out a few pictures below!

*For my teacher followers, this is a unit by Kim Adsit that can be purchased by the month in her TpT store!*

No comments:

Post a Comment